Back Up to Double-Digits – Long Run Done

I have been inching my way back to the double-digit run and finally today, I decided that I would do my old Home 10 Miler Course. It did help that the weather cooperated with the high being 72*F, so it really was an ideal day to get in my longer run.

Since I knew that I would be running longer, I didn’t go out with the idea of breaking any land speed record, especially since this course is a pretty challenging one.

As can be seen I stuck around a nice 9:00 to 9:30 or so pace until the final mile, when I just ran out of energy.

The first mile I really do not know what that big dip in the graph was, but it seems that it does happen a lot in that area, so it must be something to do with the trees over there, because I am pretty sure that I didn’t slow down all that much in the first half mile. 🙂

After that it was more just going up the hills with a good effort and sticking to a comfortable pace on the flats and downhill sections. While I was tempted a couple of times to pick it up, I was good.

Over on the Lyons Road, the wind was in my face and I know it is all pretty much uphill until I get past the Interstate overpass. I had really thought about adding in the two loops on either side of Lyons, but when I got to the turn-off, I figured out that I didn’t have a lot left in the tank, so I kept going straight.

Probably a really good thing too, by the time I got back on Blake Road and going up Stevens Hill, I was starting to struggle a bit. If I had added on another mile or so, that would not have any added benefit for the run.

As it was I did struggle the last mile and was glad to stop running when I did.

All in all it was a nice confidence builder of a run. It showed that I can do the double-digit stuff again, especially when it is not 80+*F. I also didn’t carry any water with me, so I have a feeling that if I had hydrated during the run, that last mile or so would have been a little easier on the body.

By the time I got home Mary and the girls had gone shopping in Waterville, so after a quick lunch of Sardines, Cherries and a couple of small oranges, Bennie and I took a nice siesta. Needless to say it didn’t take too long for me to fall into a coma like sleep for about 30 minutes.

Overall, it was a nice run, where I did what I wanted and made it through without any issues.

Speaking of which I ran in the Beacon 2s and you notice I didn’t say a word about the shoes…they did exactly what I wanted – disappeared and didn’t reappear until I took them off.


  1. Congrats on a double digit! I am wanting to up my mileage into double digits too as I usually do an unofficial half in october


    • I am thinking about doing a half in October, but want to wait and see a little longer on things. While the leg is doing okay most days, once in a while it complains more than it should 🙂 I am sure you will do great on your half.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.