There has been a meme going around the Internet lately and I was reading The Balance Project blog and she tagged anyone who read her 7 Things post to do one on themselves. After reading a bunch of this kind of post over the past week, I thought it would be fun to do one myself.
Here are 7 things about me that you might or might not know about me.
1. I have had mostly gray hair since I was 40 – yes I tried dying it for a few years, but finally decided to go with the distinguished gray look – that is why I wear a ball cap so much.
|Gray hair hidden by the Life is Good hat|
2. When I was in the Coast Guard everyone knew me as Radar and I dressed up as a can of Grape Nehi for my Chief’s Initiation, way back in October of 1984. I retired from the Coast Guard in 1996 after almost 21 years of service, that’s right more than 15 years ago – hard to believe.
|Boot Camp picture in 1975|
3. I was Special Education Teacher for almost 10 years, which is one of the toughest jobs, but most rewarding things I have ever done.
|Cutting up as a teacher, not always conventional in my style|
4. People consider me fairly computer savvy, I even consider myself a nerd and yet I don’t have my own cell phone or a smart phone anymore.
|Back when I had a Mac, a PC and my old iPhone 3G|
5. I am the oldest of six children and the reason mom and dad got married.
|Last picture of Mom, Dad and I together that I can find|
6. I have been a runner for over 40 years and I won the 100 and 200 yard dashes at the Penquis Relays in 1975. In 1983 I completed the Marine Corps Marathon. Running is my passion, but it has had it ups and downs, along with many injuries throughout my career. Now I am on the way back to running bliss and running mostly pain free after knee surgery in May.
7. I retired from the rat race in June 2011, in order to take time to slow down and live a simpler life, now I run a lot and immensely enjoy the life that we have.
Bonus: I am a native Maineiac – not a Mainer – ’nuff said ;-).
The below collage has many of the 7 things that I talked about.
Those are the seven things you may or may not know about me.
If you are reading this, consider yourself tagged and write 7 interesting tidbits about yourself that others may or may not know about you.