No not One Foot In Reality – you guys are stuck with me here!
If that don’t beat all, I got my niche blog Aging Reluctantly all setup and even started posting to it and suddenly I am only an author on it? For some reason tonight I can’t access it as an Admin, which just isn’t going to cut it.
Strangely I was able to access Aging Reluctantly as an Administrator yesterday morning and I don’t remember making any changes to my settings? If past experience is an indicator – it is probably something that I did without realizing it and blame no one but myself. But still WTFO?
I am going to take it as a sign that I am not supposed to have a blog called Aging Reluctantly again, if I didn’t have access back in this morning. Guess what I still don’t have access to the admin functions.
It is a little frustrating, but at the same time One Foot In Reality and Aging Reluctantly had a lot of topic overlap and while I am aging, I am not as passionate about the subject as I should be to have it be my niche blog. It is something that is happening to me, not something that I am enjoying doing.
What Niche do I fit?
No I would like to have a niche blog in addition to One Foot In Reality, someplace where the topic is completely different than OFIR and where I can experiment with a little different writing style. Something that I can grow slowly and not worry about it being my primary blog.
The niche has to be something that I have done for a while, am fairly knowledgeable about, love to do now and will be able offer some insight to others from my experiences. Let’s see what am I good at and passionate about?
- Education – no thanks been there done that, time to move on
- Special Education – same as above
- Aging – Already explained why it is not working
- Archery – love to do it but my expertise is more than 10 years old and I am not as active in it as I was, not cutting it.
- Hiking – while I love walking in the woods, I don’t do it enough to write about it.
- Technology – I love to learn new techie stuff and use my Mac daily to connect to the rest of the world, but the tech world is passing me by with tablets and smart phones – I don’t have either one and don’t see one in my immediate or long-term budget. No I will keep writing little reviews here at OFIR on tech, but not create yet another End-user blog.
- Simple Living- A lot of topic overlap with OFIR and my other blog Simple is Working on that subject really didn’t work for me.
- Gaming – it has passed me by, still love to do it, but I don’t enjoy online gaming and don’t have access to the new gaming systems – I guess my Never Winter Nights 2 doesn’t cut it as cutting edge.
- Coast Guard – Been retired too long, my experience is 15 years outdated.
As you can see, the above process is something that I have been thinking about for a while, just compressed to fit this post. My niche blog needs to be about something that I do several times a week, miss when I am not doing it and have fought to try to get back to doing.
I believe that I have found the answer: Running
I have been involved with organized running since the summer of 1970 when I began training for my high school cross country team and I was always running around before that, but nothing organized. That means I can check off having done it for a while – 40 plus years of experience isn’t too bad, I guess that I can call myself a veteran runner.
During my running career, I have seen the highs of being fairly competitive, finishing a marathon, meeting some really great people and the lows of being injured for extended periods of time and then fighting to come back to being a runner again. Running is something I do and even though I no longer am a competitive runner, I love to run and when I am not running consistently there is a large void in my life. I also used to be a bit of a shoe geek, so that will be helpful.
Running fulfills all of the criteria for the subject that I want to be writing about and I have a feeling that this is really what my niche blog needs to be about. Well it is time to quit fighting against whatever power is pushing me in this direction and see where it leads me.
Now I just have to figure out a name for this new niche blog of mine and think I have found a name that fits and isn’t being used by someone else (which is difficult nowadays):